Friday, November 25, 2011

Take Care: The Evolution of One Song

Sometimes music can act as a recipe for something we all long to eat. Something delicious, with lasting flavor and worthwhile taste. People often alter ingredients while imitating and the same is true when one song inspires another. We are all familiar with covers and understand the process in a pretty straightforward manner. Someone writes a song---> Someone likes song so much they feel inspired----> they create their version of it. Sometimes inspiration happens so rapidly that the lineage becomes blurred or broken. I can see this happening with the late Gil Scott-Heron's "I'll Take Care Of You". The song is now in its fourth incarnation of the popular sorts. Most recently, Florence and the Machine gave the Drake treatment her own treatment. Watch and listen to the evolution of "I'll Take Care of You" below.

Gil Scott-Heron - "I'll Take Care of You" via I'm New Here (2010)

Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie XX - "I'll Take Care of You" via We're New Here (2011)

Drake ft. Rihanna - "Take Care" via Take Care (2011)

Florence and the Machine - "Take Care"(Drake Cover) via BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge session (Yesterday)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it is awesome to hear this progression! I think that I like the Gil Scott-Heron solo version the best but it is a beautiful song no matter who is performing it.

    ReplyDelete